Windows Update keeps your computer up-to-date with latest, recommended security updates and performance enhancements. As default, the scan is scheduled to run on a periodic basis. The updates help to deal with potentially unwanted files, malicious objects, fix programming bugs and improve your computer’s performance.
Sometimes, the update download-install process fails with the 0x80070070 error. The problem primarily arises when you don’t have sufficient disk space to download updates.
You’re just 3 steps away from fixing this problem…
1. Download and install the Diagnostic
2. Run full scan
3. Perform system clean-up & repair
Estimated download time: 10 Seconds
Reset Windows Update Components
It may be possible that some of the Windows Update files and components are missing, corrupted. First, stop all associated services as you cannot delete/ rename the component files when they are in use by associated services. Then, fix problems of the DLL Registry entries.
1. In the Search Box, type “CMD.”
2. Right click “Command Prompt” from Search Results; choose Run as administrator.
3. First, stop all Windows Update Services using below command:
- net stop <Service Name>
One by one, let’s stop all the following services:
4. Delete corrupted data files:
- Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat”
5. A sample command to rename a particular folder:
- ren <full folder path> <prescribe new name>
Use below commands to rename Windows Update folders assuming they contain corrupted files:
- Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.backup
- Ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.backup
6. UChange active directory to System32 folder:
- cd /d %windir%\system32
7. Re-register entries of a Dynamic Link Library file:
- regsvr32.exe <file name>.dll
Here is the long list of Windows Update DLL files to reregister:
8. It’s time to restore the default WinSock configurations:
- netsh winsock reset
- proxycfg.exe –d
- netsh winhttp reset proxy
9. Let’s start all the stopped services again:
- net start bits
- net start wuauserv
- net start appidsvc
- net start cryptsvc
- bitsadmin.exe /reset /allusers
10. Finally, type EXIT to quit the window.
11. Restart your computer to complete the troubleshooting process successfully.