Windows Update sometimes puts your system into awkward situations. An update may fail to install with error 0x80073712. This problem may arise due to different reasons ranging from corrupted Windows Update components to missing system files. Let us see how to fix this error safely and securely.
Use Troubleshooting Wizard
The Troubleshooting Wizard, an essential part of self-diagnosing utilities in Windows, detects and automatically repairs common issues reported in various system elements including Windows Update. You need not follow any manual procedure, commonly reported problems are fixed automatically.
1. Click the Start icon on Taskbar.
2. Type Troubleshooting in the Search Box.
3. Open it from the Search Results.
4. Click System and Security | Windows Update.
5. You have a new wizard. Make sure you exit and re-open it with administrative privileges. To do so, click the Advanced link, and click Run as Administrator.
6. The wizard is now reopened. Click Next, and follow the on-screen instructions.
Use DISM Command-lines
DISM is called as System Update Readiness Tool which is used to resolve issues about installation of Windows updates and service packs. It replaces corrupted file with the source file stored on Windows installation media.
1. Press Windows Key + X; choose Command Prompt (Admin).
2. Type the following commands in sequence:
- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
3. Restart your laptop for the changes to take effects.
Delete Software Distribution Files
This folder contains automatically downloaded update files. Over times, the folder contents get corrupted resulting in problem with the installation of updates. To get rid of Windows Update error 0x80073712, empty this folder content.
Generally speaking, it is quite safe to delete these files. You cannot delete them unless you exit the Windows Update utility and restart the laptop to ensure no files are in use.
1. Open elevated Command Prompt.
2. Execute following commands in given sequence:
- Net stop wuauserv
- Cd %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution
- Ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.backup
- Net start wuauserv
3. Restart your laptop after successful completion.