If you’re having problems downloading updates, we will walk you through a series of diagnostic steps.
Activate Defer Upgrades
The Defer Upgrades holds back newly available Windows features as soon as they are available. Your computer will not download them for several months after initial release.
1. Click Start | Settings.
2. Click Update & Security.
3. Click Windows Update tab.
4. Click Advanced options.
5. Check-up the box Defer upgrades.
Diagnose Windows Update Utility
Troubleshooting is a systematic approach to problem solving. The Troubleshooting tool in Windows detects and repairs the problem using a systematic process.
1. Press Windows Key + X.
2. Select Control Panel.
3. Type Troubleshooting in the Search Box on top right corner.
4. Open the Troubleshooting from the Search Results.
5. Click Fix problems with Windows Update link inside the System and Security category.
6. Click Next.
7. Follow the on-screen instructions.
Rename SoftwareDistribution Folder
Assuming the issue is with the downloaded update files, renaming the folder may solve the problem.
1. Press Windows Key + X.Type Command Prompt (Admin).
2. Type Command Prompt (Admin).Execute below commands one by one:
3. Run below commands one by one:
4. Finally, type EXIT and press ENTER.
Change BITS Service Properties
The Background Intelligent Transfer service deals with download and transfer of files between client and server. You might face Windows Update error if the service is disabled from running at the startup.
1. Press Windows Key + R.
2. Type Services.msc
3. Press ENTER.
4. It opens up the Services tool.
5. Right-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS), select Properties.
6. Click the General tab.
7. Select the Startup Type: Automatic (Delayed Start).
8. Click Apply, and then OK.
9. Exit the window.
10. Restart your computer.