Do you experience a super-slow performance while browsing the Internet, Mac’s gateway to the world and vast sea of information?
With Movavi Mac Cleaner, free up tens of GBs of storage space wasted by unneeded files, optimize your system to it’s fullest level, and fix-up common problems. Click Here to start your free download.
Recommended: Download Mac Cleaner
With Movavi Mac Cleaner, free up tens of GBs of storage space wasted by unneeded files, optimize your system to it’s fullest level, and fix-up common problems.
Click Here to start your free download.
Upgrade the Router
A router, which is composed of an I/O interface, digital memory and a processor, is an electronic device that uses either wired or wireless communication to connect a MacBook to the Internet using its layer 3 gateways. Upgrading router has several benefits. A new router should come up with an upgraded version of its embedded operating system. DD-WRT and Cisco Internetwork OS are some of the popular operating systems used in modern routers. A new router shall faster the process of filtering incoming and outgoing traffic, ultimately making your Internet faster.
Change Router Position
Place your router high at the central position of your home. Do not keep it near a microwave or metal objects. Make sure the antenna position is not downward. This can dramatically change your Wi-Fi performance.
Get Rid of Overloaded DNS Server
DNS, a record that maintains a directory of domain names, can sometimes become overloaded, making it longer to translate the relevant information to the IP Addresses. Use the free Google DNS on your Mac.
1. Click the Apple menu and select Preferences.
2. System Preferences dialog will appear on your screen.
3. Click the Network icon.
4. Select your Ethernet connection in the left panel.
5. Click on Advanced.
6. Click the DNS tab.
7. Click the Add icon, a plus sign at the bottom left.
8. Enter the Google IP Addresses given below:
Do you use IPv6 only? Then you might want to refer this article.
9. Click OK.
Buy an Ethernet Cable
Some of the drawbacks of using a wireless Wi-Fi connectivity are network congestion and signal loss. The decreased Network Bandwidth – the rate at which data can be transferred over a network, can significantly slowdown your surfing, downloading and uploading. An Ethernet cable costs around Rs. 699 in India, or $10 in the USA.
Upgrade your Package or Change the ISP
Depending on where you live, consider upgrading to a high-speed premium package or change your Internet Service Provider (ISP). You can also rip rewards such as special introductory offers exclusively for the newer customers.
Protect your Wi-Fi with WPA2-PSK Security Mode
The Wi-Fi security feature ensures there’s no piggybacking for free – no can can connect to your Wi-Fi without your consent to download large files or surf the Web. Go with the WPA2-PSK security mode to get a decent level of security.
1. Visit your router configurations page. For a TP Link Router, it should be: 192.168.0.1
2. Enter your user name, password. The default credentials are admin, admin.
3. Click Login.
4. Expand the Wireless Settings tab on the left.
5. Click Wireless Security.
6. Select WPA/WPA2 – Personal (Recommended) option.
7. Set the following configurations:
- Version: Automatic
- Encryption: AES
- Group Key Update Period: 0 Seconds
8. Set a strong Wireless Password which is comprised of capital, small letters, numbers and symbols, yet easy to remember and difficult to guess for others.
9. Click on Save.
Scan for Malware
While Macs are typically not prone to malware, you may still get unwanted adware, spyware and malware when you download a file from untrusted sources. You might want to download a third party Anti-Malware tool.
Close Unneeded Tabs
Some people tend to keep dozens of tabs opened in their browsers. Some websites use scripts, such as, auto-refresh stock updates, that automatically run in the background after a specific interval. Cloud storage services are known to synchronize information at the server end. Therefore, it ends up eating a significant bandwidth and impacts your browsing experience.
Perform Spring Cleaning
Although Safari is considered as one of the most stable web browsers around, it becomes blotted and requires an occasional thorough spring cleaning to reclaim the lost performance.
1. Exit Safari.
2. Click the Go menu on the system menu.
3. Select Go to Folder.
4. Type the following folder path:
5. Click on Go.
6. Do you see a file named Cache.db? Right-click the file, select Move to Trash.
Delete Website Data
Website data stored on your hard disk may get corrupted. It’s pretty simple to delete website stored data.
1. Click the Safari menu.
2. Select Preferences.
3. Click the Privacy Data tab in the newly opened dialog.
4. Click on Manage Website Data.
5. Click Remove All.
An Add-On, also called as an Extension, is an externally downloaded browser element that facilitates new features. Rough, poor quality add-ons can make your browser respond slower. Disable all the add-ons that are currently activated.
1. Click the Safari menu.
2. Select Preferences.
3. Click the Extensions tab.
4. Here in my case, no add-ons were installed. Disable all the extensions displayed on your screen.
Use System Diagnostics
1. Click the Go menu on the system menu.
2. Select Utilities.
3. Open Activity Monitor.
4. Click the Network tab in the newly opened screen.
5. Click the System Diagnostics Options icon on the upper left.
6. Select Run System Diagnostics from the context menu.
7. You’ll be prompted for administrative privileges. Enter your User Name and Password. Click OK.
8. You’ll be asked to read a privacy agreement. Read it carefully and click OK if you accept it.
Upgrade your Operating System
Are you one of those who keep dismissing notifications prompting for an OS upgrade and stick with MacOS Snow Leopard, Yosemite, Mavericks or Mountain Lion? It’s time to upgrade to MacOS Sierra, the latest build from Apple.
An OS upgrade comes with the latest browser version, and not to mention, performance improvements, bug fixes that can dramatically speed up your Internet speed.