The multiplayer online battle game League of Legends has been in controversy due to sudden lags and freezes. If you want to make this action strategy game run faster and smoother, follow the steps given here.
Check Minimum System Requirements
System requirements are specifications that are necessary to run a game or software. League of Legends runs smoothly when your computer meets the given requirements.
- Processor: 2 Ghz
- Graphics Card: Shader V-2
- Display Resolution: 1920*1200
- Memory: 2 GB
- Free HDD Space: 8 GB
- OS: Windows 10, 8, 7, XP
Change NVIDIA Display Settings
The display configurations allow you to choose optimal settings for your NVIDIA Graphics Card, shadow play, and monitor driver updates. Set the following parameters:
- Open the NVIDIA Control Panel.
- Click on the Manage 3D Settings link on the left.
- Click Global Settings tab.
- Turn off the feature called Anti-Aliasing.
- Now, click on the Advanced button.
- Click the Graphics Settings, and then expand the entry called 3D.
- Check-up the box Use application settings next to Anti-Aliasing.
- Save your settings, and exit.
Restore NVIDIA Defaults
Misconfigured NVIDIA settings might cause this issue. Restore the system defaults as shown below:
- Open up the NVIDIA Control Panel again.
- Go to Manage 3D Settings > Restore Defaults.
A device driver allows interaction between a computer’s hardware and operating system. Updating drivers on a regular basis is a good practice to improve gaming FPS performance and fix glitches.
- Open up the Run box by pressing Windows Key + R simultaneously.
- Type DxDiag in the Open text box, press ENTER.
- In the new dialog that appears, click the Display tab.
- Note down name and website of the display card manufacturer.
- Visit the website, go to the Downloads section, and then download the driver compatible with your computer/ laptop.
Prevent Hardware Overload
Hardware Overload occurs when your system runs out of memory due to some features that require higher RAM. Lower the in-game settings with minimal features.
1. Open up the game and go to the Options screen.
2. Click on Video Settings.
3. Set the following parameters:
- Settings: Custom
- Display Resolution: Same as your computer’s screen resolution
- Anti-Aliasing: Disabled
- Character/ Environment/ Effects Qualities: Very Low
- Frame Rate Cap: 60 Frames Per Second
- Shadows: No Shadow
- Wait for Vertical Sync: Disabled
4. Apply the changes, exit and re-open the game.
Fix Corrupt Launcher
As the name describes, launcher loads the game. Download the launcher file and download it from the official website.
1. Exit the game.
2. Click the File Explorer icon on your Taskbar.
3. Open the following directory:
- C:\Riot Games\League of Legends\RADS\Projects
4. Delete the folder named lol_launcher
5. Re-download the deleted launcher again.
Update Microsoft DirectX
Your computer must be running the latest version of Microsoft DirectX in order to prevent lags during gameplay. Visit the Microsoft Download Centre and update DirectX.
Update your OS
This scenario is truly avoidable if you regularly update your operating system with latest patches from Microsoft.com. This process may however take a longer time — up to several hours depending on the Internet connection speed.
- Type Updates in the Search box on your Taskbar.
- Open up Check for Updates from the Search Results.
- Download all the recommended and optional updates, if any.
Stopping unnecessary background services is the best way to adjust your computer for best performance.
- Type Services.msc in the Search.
- Press ENTER.
- One by one disable all the unwanted services. To disable a service, right-click it and choose the Stop option.
Note: To disable a service from starting at the Windows interval, right-click it and choose Properties. Set the Startup Type: Disabled, and then click OK.
Kill Java Updater Process
Some users have caught Java Updater process using higher CPU on multiple occasions. You may want to terminate this process before starting League of Legends lags/ freezes.
- Open up the Task Manager by right-clicking on your Taskbar and selecting the Task Manager.
- Click More Details.
- Click Processes.
- Check for the Java Updater process, usually jusched.exe*32
- Right-click it, choose End Task.
If you’re logged in to an Asian server, try switching to an American server.
Change Compatibility Settings
You might want to try running the game in a different resolution. Lower the in-game resolution using File Properties.
- Right-click the game shortcut on the Desktop.
- Go to the Compatibility tab.
- Check-up the box labeled Run in 640*480 screen resolution.
- Click Apply | OK.