This error is one of the system errors that is enough to scare the heck out of anyone. This is a type of error that can be caused by a wide variety of reasons and may require a bunch of troubleshooting on user’s part.
Close Background Apps
Close down all applications running in the background, including your Antivirus software. High resource-consuming software tend to cause this issue.
To turn off the real-time protection of your Antivirus software, locate its icon on the system tray area, right-click it and choose Pause Protection option. You’ll be prompted to select a time period, and then confirm the action.
Uninstall Audio/ Video Codecs
Some users reported the issue started occurring as soon as they installed a third-party audio/ video codecs, a kind of software that add capability to decode digital data streams of a music/ video files.
- Click the Start button, select Settings.
- Click the Apps tab.
- Click the default tab named Apps & Tabs.
- In the Search this list box, type Codec.
- Check for Audio/ Video Codecs software. If you could find such program, select it and click the Uninstall button.
Remove Java Runtime Environment
Some users reported the problem occurred after installation of Java Runtime Environment. Uninstalling it might help.
Increase Virtual Memory
Virtual Memory is especially useful when your computer runs low on memory and your computer doesn’t have the amount of RAM enough to run all the installed programs. Increase the level of virtual memory – above the predefined size.
- Right-click This PC, select Properties.
- Click Advanced system settings.
- Click the Advanced tab, and then Settings under Performance.
- Click the Advanced tab in the subsequent dialog.
- Click Change under Virtual Memory.
- Uncheck the box Automatically manage paging file size for all drives.
- Select your system drive, for example, C:\
- Select the Custom Size option, and then specify a higher amount in terms of MB.
- Click Set.
- Click OK thrice, and restart your computer.
Remove Buggy Drivers
Buggy drivers are known to invoke STOP Error (also known as, Blue Screen of Death) and crash the operating system. Since devices are just one part of the broader Windows components, it is important to remove buggy drivers.
- Press Windows Key + X, select Device Manager.
- Expand the top node.
- Click the View menu, select Show Hidden Devices.
- Do you see any devices with an exclamation mark in yellow color? If so, remove buggy devices by right-clicking and selecting the Uninstall option.
- Restart your computer after completion.
Pause Real-Time Internet Traffic Scan
Your Antivirus conducts a real-time scan of all the files that are being accessed by operating system and programs, as well as, the Internet traffic. Your problem may go away by simply disabling your Antivirus.
Perform System Restore
Before installing a major software or driver, Windows typically creates a record of changes made to your system files and Registry settings. You may also select a custom restore point prior to making changes to your PC in order to get this error fixed.
- Right-click This PC desktop icon.
- Select Properties.
- Click Advanced system settings.
- Click the System Protection tab.
- Click on System Restore.
- Click Next.
- Select a restore point from the list, or check-up Show more restore points to display additional set of restore points.
- Click Next, and follow the on-screen instructions.