Grand Theft Auto 5 from Rockstar is a brilliant open-world Trevor game. It won’t be an exaggeration to call it as one of the best games of this young generations. In this article, you’ll learn how to fix GTA5 crashes, errors and Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD).
Solutions To Fix GTA5 Crashes
We’ve recommended a set of solutions based on the personal experience of numerous users who were lucky enough to fix the issue their own. Some of the solutions may require tweaking your system to get into depth of the issue.
Download the Diagnostic
There are certain situations when missing entries in your registry and registry corruption causes this problem. Try running a registry scan to identify if there are any such issues.
- Click the button below to download and install the Diagnostic
- Perform a Registry scan and fix any problems detected.
- Restart your computer.
Estimated Download Time: 10 Seconds
Check Technical Specifications
Make sure you’ve the necessary hardware and software to run this game. The minimum system requirements are as follows:
- Operating System: Windows 8.1 (64 bit)/ Windows 7 (64 bit) Service Pack 1
- RAM: 8 GB
- Graphics Card: NVIDIA GTX 660/ AMD HD 7870
- Graphics Memory: 2 GB
- Audio Card: Any audio card compatible with Microsoft DirectX 10
- Free Disk Space: 65 GB
- Hardware: DVD-ROM Drive
Fix Corrupt Game Cache To Fix GTA5 Crashes
One of the most common reasons behind Grand Theft Auto 5 crashing is corrupted cache. Clear and refresh the cache contents using a pre-build feature in Steam. Alternatively, you have the option to perform the same operation using CMD.
What’s Game Cache?
Cache is a special directory that contains frequently required files. The on-going process of storing files, deleting them after use and adding new contents to the Cache folder is known as Caching.
- Open the Steam app, and then load the Library contents.
- Right-click Grand Theft Auto 5 game icon, choose Properties.
- In the newly opened dialog box, click on the Local Files tab.
- Click Verify Integrity of Game Files button.
Alternatively, you can initiate a verify command using an elevated Command Prompt.
- Press Windows Key + X, select Command Prompt (Admin).
- Type one of the following commands based on the actual installation directory:
- CD C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V
- CD C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V
- Use the following command to initiate file verification process:
- GTAVLauncher.exe -verify
GTA 5 crashes are experienced on systems running outdated video and other crucial drivers. Search the Internet for a newer driver version compatible with your machine, and update your system. The drivers are free-of-cost.
Why Is Updating Drivers So Crucial?
Manufacturers release newer driver versions to fix bugs, improve security and reliability. Driver updates help improve the performance and prevent errors, Blue Screen and other critical problems from arising.
- Right-click the Start button or press Windows Key + X keys simultaneously.
- Choose Device Manager from the context menu options.
- Expand the Display Adapters node on the left.
- Right-click your Display Adapter, choose Update driver software option.
- In the newly opened wizard, click Search automatically for updated drivers, and follow the on-screen instructions.
If you fail to find drivers automatically, visit the website of your manufacturer.
Prevent DEP Conflicts
DEP security feature might be blocking the game launcher file from running. Ensure that DEP is set to exclude GTAV.exe file and the file runs interruptedly.
What Is DEP?
DEP is defined as Data Execution Prevention, which is a security measure that ensures only authorized, unharmful applications run on your computer. DEP prevents execution and spreading of certain malicious code designed to harm your computer system and steal the confidential information.
- Right-click This PC icon.
- Select Advanced system settings.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- In the Performance category, click Settings.
- Click the Data Execution Prevention tab.
- Select Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select.
- Click Add and then locate the GTA 5 executable file:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\Common\GTAV.exe
- Click OK twice.
Reset Process Affinity
Process Affinity helps users choose priority of the background processes and threads so that a certain process does not overload the entire CPU.
Setting up higher affinity to the GTAV.exe process may hep fix GTA5 crashes.
- Press Windows Key + X, select Task Manager.
- Click the Details tab.
- Click the Processes tab.
- Right-click the GTAV.exe process from the list of processes, and select Set Affinity.
- Set higher process affinity, and confirm.
Perform Disk CleanUp
Grand Theft Auto 5 crashes when you run into low disk space problem. Freeing-up temporary space using Disk CleanUp might help.
What’s Disk CleanUp?
Disk CleanUp is a handy tool in Windows that searches partition(s) on your computer for temporary files, and deletes them to free-up your storage space.
- Double-click This PC icon on your Desktop.
- Right-click the drive containing Grand Theft Auto 5 installation.
- Select Properties.
- Click General tab into the Drive Properties dialog box.
- Click Disk CleanUp.
- The Disk CleanUp should come up with a long list of items for removal. Check them all, and then click OK. If you need to view contents of those folders, use the View Files button.