Tally — India’s widely used bookkeeping, accounting, and inventory management software show following error during program runtime:
Exiting Tally, File Not Found. Attempting to open ‘D:\Tally\Data\0001\Tr01287.500’
Remember, actual file name displayed in the error message may vary in each case. One of the most common causes is missing or corrupted program or data file, due to unexpected shutdowns or power cuts. In this article, we’ll learn step by step guidelines to get rid of this error.
We strongly recommend you to back-up your Tally data & companies information on an external storage device — such as an external hard drive or USB flash drive, before initiating system maintenance tasks.
Download the Diagnostic
There are certain situations when missing entries in your registry and registry corruption causes this problem. Try running a registry scan to identify if there are any such issues.
- Click the button below to download and install the Diagnostic
- Perform a Registry scan and fix any problems detected.
- Restart your computer.
Estimated Download Time: 10 Seconds
Rewrite Corrupted Company Profile
It is an interesting feature in Tally which automatically rewrites the corrupted company profile. You’ll no longer receive Exiting Tally, File Not Found error again.
1. Open up Tally.
2. Load the Company Selection Screen.
3. Press Ctrl + Alt + R keys simultaneously.
4. The Rewrite Company page is now displayed on your screen with the list of all companies together.
5. All you’ve to do is select the business containing missing/ damaged file; Tally will fix your problem automatically.
Provide Sufficient Sharing Access
The file specified in error message may be stored on a server machine to which the sharing access is denied. Grant administrative privileges to the Data folder as follows:
Case # 1: Data Folder is Stored on Server Machine
- Exit Tally.
- Log on to the server machine containing specified data file.
- Go to the Data folder and remove Read-Only file attribute.
Case # 2: Data Folder is Stored on Local Machine
- Quit Tally.
- Double click Computer icon on Desktop.
- Open following directory:
- C:\Tally.ERP 9\
- Right click “Data” subfolder, choose Properties from context menu.
- It opens up a new dialog named Folder Properties.
- Uncheck the “Read-only” box, and then click Apply | OK.
Restore Fresh Backup
Return to the original functional condition to fix Exiting Tally; File Not Found Error. Hopefully, you have a recent backup to restore missing/ damaged data file.
- Open up Tally, and go to Gateway of Tally screen.
- Press Alt + F3 keys simultaneously.
- The Company Information page is now displayed on your screen.
- Select Restore option; press ENTER.
- Specify the following:
- Destination: <Enter folder path specified in error message>
- Source: <Your backup folder path goes here — internal or external path>
- Choose the corrupted company profile under List of Companies column. Press ENTER.
- Select Accept, or press Y, when the confirmation prompt appears.
- The restore process would automatically start.