Doom is one of the challenging shooter games developed by Id Software. Over 10 million copies of the pioneering first-person shooter game have been sold according to some sources.
Verify System Requirements
Here is a list of essential hardware required to play Doom game efficiently:
- Memory: 8 GB
- Graphics Card: NVIDIA GTX/ AMD Radeon HD
- Graphics Memory: 2 GB
Change Launch Options
Game launch options let users supersede internal settings of the game when it comes to video compatibility problems. The steps to fix launch options are given below:
- Open Steam.
- Go to Games Library.
- Right click on Doom; select Properties.
- Click the General tab.
- In the Set launch options text box, add the following arguments one by one:
- +set m_smooth 0
- +com_skipKeyPressOnLoadScreens 1
- Click OK.
Fix Memory Leaks
If your computer has lower RAM memory, say less than 8 GB, there is a possibility of memory leaks, a condition in which your game forgets to delete the memory in a heap created before runtime execution.
The solution is to either buy an additional RAM or properly customize the Paging File size based on your needs. The steps to change virtual memory settings are as under:
- Right-click This PC icon on your Desktop.
- Select Properties.
- Click Advanced system settings.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Click Change under Virtual Memory frame.
- Uncheck the box labeled Automatically manage paging file size for all drives.
- Select Custom size option.
- Specify a higher amount of paging file size in terms of MB.
- Click Set and then OK thrice.
Change Game Configurations
Your game configurations are stored in a separate folder located in the user’s library. You might want to disable an unsupported feature and check whether the problem persists.
- Double-click the Users folder icon on your Desktop.
- Open the following directory:
- ..\Saved Games\ID Software\Doom\Base\
- Right-click the file named DoomConfig.cfg
- Select Open with | Notepad.
- In the newly opened file, click Edit | Find.
- Type m_smooth in the Find what text box and click Find Next.
- Replace the line as follows:
- Click File | Save and then exit the file.
Delete Saved Games
Your games are stored in the folder given below. When the game fails to load saved data, it may crash. By deleting the saved games, you are loading the game afresh.
1. Double- click the Users folder on your Desktop.
2. Open the Saved Games sub folder.
3. Delete the files saved by Doom game.