This generic error occurs when Windows Update fails to obtain required download permissions.
You’re just 3 steps away from automatically fixing this problem….
- Download and install Diagnostic
- Perform driver update.
- Restart your computer.
Estimated Download Time: 10 Seconds
Disable Metered Connection
The Metered Connection feature is used when you run into a limited data plan Internet. It restricts background Internet activity, such as downloading of Windows updates, anti-virus definitions, error reporting, and so on. Disable Metered Connection, a feature widely used in developing countries of the world.
1. Click Start, and then Settings.
2. Click Network & Internet | Advanced Options.
3. Turn the Metered Connection feature off. (Move slider to the left)
4. Close the window.
Log-In as Administrator
You may be logged into a standard user profile. As the Windows Update process requires sufficient administrative privileges, you must logoff and re-login as Administrator. Contact your computer administrator for more information.
1. Press Windows Key + X; choose Shut down or sign out.
2. Select Sign out.
3. Log-in to Administrator account with a valid password, if any.
Repair Registry Permissions
Windows Update, Microsoft’s tool that deals with downloading of new updates and security releases, accesses your computer Registry time to time. Insufficient Registry privileges can pop up error 0x80070005.
1. Visit the Microsoft Download Center. Using the Search Box on top, download a tool called SubInACL.
2. Select the default installation directory during the setup wizard. For example:
32 Bit Windows:
- C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools
64 Bit Windows:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Resource Kits\Tools
3. Launch the newly installed tool to make relevant changes to your system settings.
Provide Package Permissions
Grant needful read/ write access permissions to the Packages folder in your application data directory.
1. Press Windows Key + R; type AppData and click OK.
2. Open the following:
3. Right-click Packages subfolder, choose Properties.
4. In the newly opened Folder Properties dialog box, go to the Security tab and click Edit.
5. Provide read, write, access permissions by checking up appropriate boxes under Allow column.
6. Click OK twice.
svchost.exe, a generic host process, is crucial for the smooth working of Windows, Windows Update 0x80070005 error occurs when your Firewall protection blocks this service.
Excluding EXE from Firewall Protection:
1. Type Allow an app through Windows Firewall in the Search Box on Taskbar.
2. Click Change Settings button.
3. Click Allow another app button.
4. Click Browse in the Add an App dialog box. Now locate the following file:
5. Click Add | OK.
Temporarily Disable Firewall:
1. Type Windows Firewall in the Search Box.
2. Open Windows Firewall with Advanced Security from the Search Results.
3. Click the Action menu, choose Properties.
4. Set Firewall state to Off in all Domain Profile, Private Profile and Public Profile tabs.
5. Click Apply, and then OK.
Reset the Windows Store cache; a temporary location used to store your files. It can help in problem-solving.
1. Press Windows Key + X, chose Command Prompt (Admin).
2. Execute below command:
3. After successful completion, type EXIT and restart Windows.