Skype, an Internet-based voice and video communication service, is widely popular among the personal and business users. If Skype crashes before you even get a chance to make video calls to your loved ones or business partners, don’t worry, we are here to help you.
You’re just 3 steps away from fixing this problem…
1. Download and install the Diagnostic
2. Run full scan
3. Perform system clean-up & repair
Estimated download time: 10 Seconds
Update Device Drivers
In most of the cases reported, this issue was caused due to outdated device drivers – software that facilitate communication between your operating system and hardware. Update the device drivers using the Free Wise Driver Care. Restart your computer after successful completion.
A Skype update is an additional set of files containing fixes found by the developers. An update, sometimes also referred to as a Patch, can be downloaded through the procedure given below:
1. Double click Skype‘s Desktop shortcut.
2. Click the Help menu, select Check for Updates.
Delete Skype Preferences
The Skype preferences stored in the AppData folder, a hidden folder with loads of preferences files for different applications, have been corrupted. You might want to quit Skype entirely using the system tray icon in the notification area of your Taskbar and then delete the preferences.
1. Press Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog box. After it is opened, type following path and press ENTER.
2. Move the following files to Recycle Bin:
3. Restart PC and login to Skype.
Set Default Language
Skype crashes may occur when the default language is other than English. It indicates corruption of the language files stored in your installation directory. Adjust the default language to the English as follows:
1. Click the Tools menu.
2. Select Change Language | English.
Obtain Language Files from Developer
Skype language files can be identified with *.lang extension. The language files, which have become unreadable, needs to be replaced with original data. Do not download these files from untrusted sources as they contain malware; obtain them from the developer instead. After getting new files, follow the steps given below:
1. Click Tools | Change Language.
2. Select Load Skype Language File.
3. In the Open dialog that appears, select and load newly obtained Skype Language Files (.lang).